Saturday, August 31, 2013

Last Days in Boulder. Yup, Still Here!

Well, here it is the last day of August and I'm squeezing in a blog post so I can say I didn't skip the month of August. Actually, I can NOT believe how fast the summer here in Boulder has gone. I came here the beginning of May planning to stay a few weeks, changed my ticket to stay until Muncie 70.3 mid July, then decided it would be great to have another month of training at altitude, and just last week changed my ticket to stay until September 12th. What can I say except that it's been an amazing summer training in Boulder!:)

The main reason I decided to stay in Boulder after my last race in mid July was to put in a bigger block of training, and then back load the rest of my season. The riding here is the best of anywhere that I've ever trained. It's amazing to be able to head out in the mountains for a long day of riding, knowing that I'll likely encounter only one, at most two traffic lights. And I've never been a trail runner, but Boulder has so many trails to choose from, that it's hard not to become a trail runner, even for someone with flipper feet like myself. But now after the last 6 weeks of hard training, I'm looking forward to and even starting to dream about tapering for my next race. I'll head back to San Diego on Sept 12th, and then head to Bend, Oregon for Leadman Bend on Sept 21st. Can't wait!:)

This month also marks a year since my second hip surgery last August. I've had a few people reach out to me in the last month either with the same injury or recovering from the same surgery. Looking back over the last year, I have absolutely no regrets and I'm so thankful that I made the decisions that I made. I look back to a year ago when I couldn't sit without pain and couldn't ride in my aerobars. And then I look ahead to this year when I'm training and racing full time with no hip pain, and I couldn't be happier. One chapter closes and another one opens. Onwards and upwards!


No comments: