Monday, July 15, 2013

Muncie 70.3

Yesterday marked my return to Half Ironman racing with Muncie 70.3. After putting in a solid block of training in Boulder for the last two months, I had mixed expectations. I knew I was in good swim shape from the hard swim workouts at altitude, I had worked harder on the bike than I've ever worked before, and my run training was improving week by week - although I hadn't yet started doing any speed work, my volume was where it needed to be to run a half. Since it's been over two years since my last 1/2 Ironman, this race was sort of a test to clear out the cobwebs, see where my race fitness was, and to use it as a stepping stone to gain fitness for my next half Ironman, followed by my return to Ironman racing.

The main lesson I learned this weekend is that training fitness unfortunately does not always equal race fitness. Although I finished in a respectable time of 4:40, it was a much harder fought race simply because racing hard for over 4 hours, and running a 1/2 marathon off a 90km time trial and a 1.8km swim is not an easy thing to replicate in training -  especially after a two year race sabatical.;-) So now that I've put in a good training base, I'm looking forward to the fun part of racing more and giving my all at something that I love.
Onwards and Upwards!
Myself and Monica, one of the athletes I coach who qualified for 70.3 Worlds in her second ever half Ironman.


jameson said...

so stoked to see your back out there donna!! keep ripping!

Shannon Warren said...

Happy to know you're back at it!