Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 1 Post-Op

Just a short note to say that surgery yesterday went really well and I left the hospital this morning. The last thing I remember after being wheeled into OR yesterday evening was looking at the clock on the wall, seeing that it was 3:30pm and feeling like I had never been so hungry in my life (I had been fasting since midnight the night before). The next thing I remember was being wheeled into recovery, doing a double take at the time on the clock, 9:40pm, and wondering what was for dinner. I'll spare you the details, but it must be true what they say about drugs increasing your appetite!

As for my surgery, I couldn't have asked for a better outcome. I think most surgeons pre-op are cautious in predicting recovery times and until surgery is over, there's a certain amount of apprehension and wishing for the best. I'm happy to say that my surgery went as well as I could have expected. Dr Philippon repaired my labrum, and shaved the excess bone from my acetabulum (socket part of the hip  joint), and also from the head of my femur (the ball part of the joint), thereby eliminating the impingement that had caused the labral tear to develop. He then did a PRP (platelet rich plasma) injection to speed up the healing process.

Immediately after surgery, I was put on a CPM (continuous passive motion) machine that moved my hip and knee for 6hrs last night, and then I was off to Physical Therapy at 7am for a two hour session of exercises, crutch walking and 15min on a spin bike. At 3pm this afternoon, I'll head back for another 2hr PT session, followed this evening by another 4hrs on the CPM machine. I'll repeat this for the next 7 days until I head back to San Diego next Wednesday. I'll also start pool therapy at the beginning of next week and swimming a few days later.

Thank you to all my friends and family, coach and sponsors for your amazing support over the last couple of weeks. I have a busy month of rehab ahead, but I'm looking forward to getting back training on a now stable hip, and finishing the season with a kick.:)

1 comment:

Max Moreno said...

Biking is a good exercise! did you know that physical therapists observe the patient's posture, strength, motor function, breathing ability, coordination, and balance. Visit http://www.physicaltherapyschoolsite.com for more info.